Dedicating our time and resources to those in need is a top commitment of National Consumer Alliance. We want to highlight and encourage you and your loved ones to give back to your local community this spring. Regardless of how big or small, you will make a difference for those in your area, and it begins with these 17 simple ways!
1. Give back to your local charity. Research the charities in your city that you would like to donate to or give your time to in other ways.
2. Make “care kits” for the homeless in your area. Put together helpful ‘care kits,’ that would include essential items such as:
- Hand towelettes
- Lip balm
- Toothbrush and tooth paste
3. Donate clothing/ household items to your local charity drive. The next time that you are spring cleaning donate your unwanted items to your local charity.
4. Pick up trash in your local park. Choose a park in your area and designate time to picking up litter for a few hours.
5. Become a mentor to someone in need. Learn who in your neighborhood or city is needing help, whether that be educational or personal, and dedicate your time as a mentor.
6. Deliver meals to those who are housebound. Learn about those who are housebound in your area and dedicate time each week to delivering meals to their home.
7. Volunteer at a hospital, homeless shelter, nursing home, etc. Donating to your local charity is a great opportunity to lend a helping hand to those in need. Learn about the local charities in your area through VolunteerMatch.
8. Donate books you no longer read. Dedicate time to sorting through books you no longer use and donate them to your local Goodwill, Salvation Army, or Library.
9. Set up a carpool campaign in your area. Organize a carpool group for those heading to the same areas of town for work, after school pickup, childrens sporting events, etc.
10. Help build a home with Habitat for Humanity. Learn about the Habitat for Humanity events taking place in your city.
11. Sign up for your favorite charities event. Learn about your favorite local charity and sign up for their next event.
12. Donate animal food to your local shelter. The next time that you are picking up dog food or treats for your furry friend, grab a few extras for your local animal shelter.
13. Pick up medicine or groceries for the elderly in your neighborhood. Seek out those in your neighborhood who are unable to run errands for themselves and help them with their weekly necessity shopping needs.
14. Give to your local Toys for Tots. Donate a brand new toy to your local Toys for Tots for a child in need.
15. Donate or volunteer at your local food bank. The next time that you are cleaning out your pantry, set aside items for your local food bank.
16. Create greeting cards. Make greeting cards to distribute to sick children who are in need of cheering up and are hoping for ‘happy mail.’ Learn how to get started with Hugs and Hope.
17. Write a family email to a local soldier. It will only take a few minutes out of your day, but will bring so much joy to those who are far from home. Get started with A Million Thanks, today!
Are you ready to make a difference for those in your community? We believe that giving your time and resources is the best kind of gift. Whether is volunteering for an event, donating to a cause or helping a neighbor in need, every bit counts towards a positive change. Discover how you can help in your city, today!